Monday, November 13, 2006

Day 1 - part 2

So a brief introduction to the reason for this blog, and my current situation. I graduated university in 2006, with a fair bit of work experience from my co-op employment. I interviewed around a bit, which can be a tedious process, but ended up going back to a company I enjoyed working at previously. That company decided to "restructure" and fire a fair portion of their workforce including myself. Mid-November, and I am looking for employment while everyone is planning their Christmas holidays. I am currently trying to decide where to aim my career after some brief fulltime exposure.
Currently consulting or doing contract work looks like it would suit me better than most fulltime 9-5 jobs I have seen. I enjoy solving problems and working on systems from scratch so I have much more in-depth knowledge of the system. This is basically the time (I think) to learn as much as I can and focus on getting quality work experience while I have the time and motivation to throw myself at work.
So after a brief lunch with some ex-coworkers I am going to update my resume and start sorting out which positions look worthwhile. A quick look on monster and craigslist turned up a ton of results, so I think the job market is as strong as I thought it was.
I still have a strong desire to start my own company or work on contract jobs, perhaps this the opportunity to do just that.

No comments: