Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Day 3

A few interesting jobs have popped up that are "work for this startup for free, and we give you a share of the company." The problem with this sort of job is that less than 1/4 of startups are actually successful, and those are companies that go through a tough venture capital process. So if this is just some "idea" that someone has, and they are like "lets get a free programmer", that's really not going to work out.
From previous experiences, I know that on any small company it is really important to be able to trust the other people involved, you are relying on them to keep the company afloat! I have no problem applying to these positions, I will just have to be careful pursuing them. One position seems very similar to a project I have worked on previously independently - so I am considering what possible benefits working with someone else on this could have. It could either result in me doing the same amount of work and getting less of the company, or it could be advantageous to work with someone else who can contribute a fair bit.

No comments: